“You can develop the right attitude toward others if you have kindness, love and respect for them, and a clear realization of the oneness of all human beings.” - Dalai Lama
Kindness, love and respect are all words that come to mind when describing RN Supervisor Betsy Grass.
Betsy has worked in healthcare for 25 years with eight of those years working per diem at Maine Veterans’ Homes in Scarborough. “I keep coming back because of the veterans,” she says. “I enjoy giving back to them because of all they have sacrificed.”
Betsy’s sincere intentions toward residents and staff at Maine Veterans’ Homes is why she was awarded MVH’s 2017 corporate value award for Respect.
Betsy is known to move quietly about MVH, always bringing a warm smile with her. She has a genuine character and special gift for making others feel important.
“Most recently, one of our female residents seemed a bit out of sorts, and Betsy picked up on this,” a peer wrote in her award nomination letter. “I saw her with this resident at lunchtime in the lobby and asked her what she was doing here knowing she has a full-time position elsewhere. Betsy responded, ‘I just felt she needed some TLC so I came here to be with her on my lunch break.’ ”
Betsy admits she unexpectedly formed a special bond with this one resident. “I don’t know why, but we have bonded. Just to see her smile makes my whole day,” she says. She looks forward to visiting her throughout the week and on the weekends.
Living the Mission
Betsy honestly cares about people, her peers say. ”She leads by example and is willing to help however she can. She offers to do extra projects in the nursing department, always pays attention to details and accomplishes the task at hand with proficiency,” the nomination letter reads.
When asked about the Respect award, Betsy was quick to talk about the high level of respect that is intrinsically at Maine Veterans’ Homes. “The level of support our residents and staff provide to family members of residents and each other is one of a kind; there’s something special and unique about the atmosphere at Maine Veterans’ Homes,” she says. “It’s so important to me to be with a company that truly lives out its’ mission, and MVH is no exception.”
Core Value Awards at Maine Veterans’ Homes
At Maine Veterans’ Homes, six employees are nominated and selected each year for awards that reflect and honor the organization’s corporate values:
- Respect: We must respect and preserve the dignity of each person – resident, family, visitor, volunteer, and employee.
- Honesty and Integrity: First and foremost, we must always strive to do what is right and in the best interest of our residents. See who won the 2017 Honest and Integrity award.
- Excellence: We must strive to attain the highest level of quality and satisfaction in delivering person-centered care with competence, compassion, and commitment. See who won the 2017 Excellence award.
- Lead the Way: We must continue to lead the way among the nation’s state veterans’ homes by shaping the future of long-term care and rehabilitative services. See who won the 2017 Lead the Way award.
- Veterans Are Unique: We must recognize the special sacrifice that our veterans and family members have made in service to our nation and that they are most deserving of our very best efforts to meet their needs.
- Team: We must understand that only through teamwork, communication and cooperation will we achieve our goals.
Gain a Meaningful Career at Maine Veterans’ Homes
At Maine Veterans’ Homes, we feel very strongly that our purpose and work in providing care to veterans and their family members is a special privilege and calling.
The manner in which each employee of Maine Veterans’ Homes provides our service is the key to our organizational success. Understanding this, Maine Veterans’ Homes is committed to maintaining an excellent workplace where employees are valued and support our mission to meet the long-term health care needs of veterans.
Maine Veterans’ Homes has earned the reputation as a leader among the nation’s system of state veterans’ homes as well as private long-term care and rehabilitative care providers. Learn more about working at Maine Veterans’ Homes.