How Do I Get My Military Discharge Papers?

Author: Maine Veterans' Homes
Posted: October 12, 2020
Category: Eligibility and Benefits

When applying for admission to Maine Veterans’ Homes or other Veteran service-connected benefits, you’ll likely need a copy of your military discharge paperwork. This report is called DD Form 214, or DD214.

Before January 1, 1950, the form went by a few other names, including WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.

Among other things, the report includes the following information:

  • Date and place of entry into active duty
  • Date and place of release from active duty
  • Last assignment duty and rank
  • Military education

How Do I Get My DD 214?

There are a few ways you can request the paperwork for your own military personnel record, including:

1 Archives Drive

St. Louis, Missouri 63138

There is generally no cost to request your military personnel record. The time to acquire your paperwork may vary, but according to the NPRC website, 92 percent of requests will receive a response within ten days.

Download my free guide to eligibility and benefits at Maine Veterans’ Homes >>

How Do I Get My Spouse’s or Relative’s DD Form 214?

Spouses and relatives may also request a DD 214. If you are the next-of-kin of a veteran who has passed away, you can use any of the processes outlined above to request a form. Eligible next-of-kin family members include:

  • A surviving spouse who has not remarried
  • Father
  • Mother
  • Son
  • Daughter
  • Sister
  • Brother

Why Does MVH Need My Military Discharge Information?

At Maine Veterans’ Homes, even though we are separate from and independent of the VA, we still work closely with the VA to ensure our veteran residents receive the funding they need.

That’s why we ask for the DD Form 214 with your application, so we can ensure the process moves smoothly for you. If you don’t have the form at the time of your application, let us know and help you request it.

Learn More About Maine Veterans’ Homes

We’re proud to provide long and short term care, rehabilitation and therapy, memory care, and more to veterans, spouses, and Gold Star parents at our six homes throughout Maine.

Download a free copy of our eligibility guide to learn more about our services and see if you qualify.


New call-to-action